DIFFERENT – Alternative Presentation at HIFF 2017
Deadline: Monday March 6th @ 11:59 PM
The Halifax Independent Filmmakers Festival (HIFF) is seeking proposals for DIFFERENT – an alternative presentation section of the festival focused on expanded cinema and moving image installations. Building on recent efforts to present 16mm film loops and celluloid film installations during HIFF, DIFFERENT offers presentation opportunities and project support for artists experimenting with the moving image outside of the traditional cinematic presentation format.
Any moving image presentations that are not intended for a traditional cinema environment are welcome to apply, including:
– expanded cinema installation
– multi-channel film or video looping
– sound installation
– performance incorporating projection and/or sound
– digital/interactive platforms
– media works intended for presentation in an art gallery
The only requirement is that the presentation must include (or make theoretical reference to) the “moving image and/or sound for film”. DIFFERENT is open only to artists living in Nova Scotia.
Successful applicants will receive up to $750.00 in project support, a $400 artist fee and $2000.00 worth of in-kind equipment sponsorship from the Atlantic Filmmakers Cooperative.
Deadline for project proposals is Monday March 6th 2017 @ 11:59 PM. Project selection will be announced early April 2017. HIFF 2017 will take place June 7th to 10th at Neptune’s Scotiabank Stage Theatre.
Proposals for DIFFERENT can be located anywhere in the HRM and do not need to be located at Neptune’s Scotiabank Stage Theatre. Please give immense consideration to the location you intend to access for your project. AFCOOP does not guarantee it will be able to negotiate access to any locations for a chosen project. It is the responsibility of the artist to focus on a location that can realistically be accessed for their project. It is also the artist’s responsibility to initiate and negotiate the use of said location if their project is chosen, and to reflect estimated access fees in their proposed project budget. A letter of support, though not a requirement, is recommended for demonstrating project feasibility.
Your application should include:
– Name of applicant / CV or filmography of applicant
– Title of proposed project
– Project description (Who are you? What is your project? Why do you want to make it? What does your project entail?)
– Logistical plan (potential site of installation, timeline, equipment/materials required, etc.)
– Sample of work (one link maximum, Vimeo, etc)
– Letter of support from parties involved (optional but recommended)
The deadline for submitting to DIFFERENT is Monday March 6th @ 11:59 PM. Please submit your application as a .pdf electronically to email@example.com