AFCOOP is accepting applications for Expanded Cinema Summer, a brand new production residency for emerging filmmakers and artists.
Expanded cinema combines approaches from experimental film, sculpture, architecture, performance art, installation and various other disciplines, widening the potential experiences of the moving image and exploring forms of presentation outside of the traditional theatre space.
Five participants selected by a peer jury will be be given the unique opportunity to:
- study the field of expanded cinema
- receive hands-on analog film training
- participate in a cross-disciplinary “Architecture and Image” workshop led by Passage Studios
- attend artist talks & workshops by visiting artists Alexandre Larose and Izabella Pruska-Oldenhof
- receive funding to create their own expanded cinema work presented at Nocturne 2016
Expanded Cinema Summer will focus on the use of analog filmmaking technologies (film cameras, hand-processing, looping, projectors, etc.), combining the tactual qualities of film with architecture, sculpture and installation. Lead Instructor Solomon Nagler will guide participants through the ever-widening landscape of expanded cinema. Visiting artists Alexandre Larose and Izabella Pruska-Oldenhof will offer workshops in Experimental Cinematography and The Body As Medium, respectively. Alexandre Larose comes off the heels of his award-winning Brouillard – Passage #14 and Izabella Pruska-Oldenhof has been touring a retrospective of her work with the Loop Collective, celebrating their 20th anniversary. A select number of special topics workshops will also be open to the public as a summer workshop series.
- Monday April 4th: Deadline for submissions
- Late May: Evening classes begin (every two to three weeks, weekdays from 6 pm – 9 pm).
- June & July: Visiting Artist Alexandre Larose artist talk, screenings and core workshops (Saturday/Sunday weekend intensives).
- August: Project work begins, various special topics workshops.
- September: Visiting Artist Izabella Pruska-Oldenhof screening + “The Body as Medium” masterclass
- October 15th: Nocturne Art At Night Festival 2016, final project exhibition
- Expanded Cinema Summer is open to emerging artists of all disciplines (some filmmaking or media arts experience preferred)
- This program is intended to introduce participants to expanded cinema. Applicants must be an emerging artist (early career, modest body of work); mid-career and established artists with a history of exhibition in expanded cinema will be considered over-qualified
- CV, resume or filmography
- artist statement, letter of intent or project proposal (may include preliminary concept you plan to explore, thematic interests, working methodology, etc.)
- sample of work (please provide Vimeo/Youtube links with passwords if needed)
Please send submissions electronically to Alex Balkam at email@example.com by 11:59 pm on Monday, April 4th, 2016.
For more details on this program, please contact Alex Balkam: 902 405 4474 ext. 1 / firstname.lastname@example.org